Your donations help us to support the next generation of the SMN – postgraduates, undergraduates, early career professionals – in numerous ways.
Developing projects and current achievements include:
- 67 students in our postgraduate members group (and growing)
- Free events for students and our next generation community – Doing a PhD webinar that ran in October 2022, plus a successful Zoom retreat Positive Thinking and Effective Inner Leadership.
- Supporting a core group of ten enthusiastic and dedicated young people to develop and lead a two-day student research conference taking place in July 2023, through the creation of a safe space that makes use of participatory methodologies.
- Developing popular webinars specifically for students and young people on various topics, to support engaging with current world challenges.
- Growing student and young people numbers through free membership of the SMN for two years. Over 30 students have taken up this offer in the past 12 months, and we are hoping to double this number in the next 12 months. Your donation will help us to reach and support more students and young people.
- A highly popular, monthly student/young person coffee and chat social networking event, which supports our younger members to connect with one another and find support
- Upcoming bursaries and mentoring for individual projects; harnessing the passion and enthusiasm of our younger members.
- Professional skill development through our university Student Ambassador Programme.
We are always grateful for any financial support to make possible even more exciting projects. If you are as passionate as we are about nurturing the next generation to become everything they wish to be, and have the potential to become, please consider donating to this important area of development.
The Galileo Commission is a wholly administered project of the Scientific & Medical Network, funded by a private foundation.
The Galileo Commission’s remit is to open public discourse and to find ways to expand science so that it can accommodate and explore important human experiences and questions that science, in its present form, is unable to integrate.
- The Galileo Commission arranges free monthly educational webinars for the general public (all our events are open to the public)
- The website features the Galileo Report in three formats, including an accessible Layman’s version
- In 2021 we hosted a number of free Summits for the publication of important books in the field
- In 2022 we launched the Call for a Renaissance of the Spirit in the Humanities in Universities at a free event
- In 2022 we also published a volume with 57 contributors – Spiritual Awakenings: Scientists and Academics Describe their Experiences. This is an accessible volume available at a very reasonable price on Amazon
As readers of Paradigm Explorer will know, we carry reviews of over 200 books a year, mostly by David Lorimer as editor. A database kept in Scotland between 1996 and 2014 contained over 5,000 entries.
At present, we are creating a searchable database of historic reviews as a new form of outreach that is available as a member benefit. This database is slowly being populated with past reviews.
The Blaker Education Fund was established in 2006 to support small-scale projects in the field of education, particularly for young people aged approximately 15-30, such projects to be determined and funded by the Scientific and Medical Network.
The Network is grateful to the Estate of the late George Blaker, founder of the SMN, and especially to the inspiration of his daughter Jenny Blaker, for their generous endowment of funds for this purpose. It is hoped that this fund will be further enhanced in time from other sources.
Projects considered for funding must be designed to conform to the overall mission and charitable objects of the SMN.
Smart Leap Innovate Grant
We applied for a SmartLeap Innovate grant from the UK government but were not successful, unfortunately. We will try again though and reapply in the future.
If this is funded, it would help make available a range of the above material but with the benefit of intelligent software, to help search and identify what you are looking for.