Federico Faggin – Consciousness, Free Will, Meaning and Information

• Federico Faggin – Consciousness, Free Will, Meaning and Information

Posted by Andrew Polson on 2 June 2021 at 6:54 pm

How is Consciousness Fundamental?

Federico Faggin will be interviewed by David Lorimer about his autobiography entitled:  ‘SILICON – From the Invention of the Microprocessor to the New Science of Consciousness’. In his heartfelt memoir, Faggin chronicles his “four lives”: his formative years in war-torn Northern Italy; his pioneering work in the US microelectronics industry; his successful career as a high-tech entrepreneur; and his explorations into the mysteries of consciousness. 

To take part in the discussion thread simply click the ‘reply’ button on the right and type your reply and click the blue ‘post’ button. If you were also a participant in the webinar, feel free to put any comments, thoughts or questions you have.

Andrew Polson replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies

Robert Skenes

2 June 2021 at 9:54 pm

Not sure how this discussion works, Andrew. Is it via postings in this location?

If so, here’s a statement I’d love to hear Frederico’s comment on:

In my human communication doctoral program, we learned that meaning is in people, not words. We had debates around whether meaning is a transaction between people and words. We also talked about “communicational reality”–the process of people making reality (or meaning) by the ways they talk about things.

Thanks,

Robert Skenes

Andrew Polson

Organizer
      5 June 2021 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Robert – you did that just right and thanks for your comment, and great question in terms of where meaning lies. I think it is inherently liminal and that it also has both a dynamic and static quality (depending on the nature of the factors within which it arises). Let’s see what other people come back with.