Personal Experiences of first becoming aware of our ‘spiritual self’

CLARA GAGNON

20 September 2021 at 10:32 am

I was about 10 and friend and I went into our empty church. We where running around and playing on the altar, knowing we should have not been doing that. All of a sudden I had this sense that it was holy, I really can’t explain it. Then out of know where something happened, I was on my knees feeling this beautiful feeling, experience, and I started to cry, a good happy cry, my friend also had the same thing happen. I wish I could remember more of what happened,but I do know something in me changed. Not sure what. Years later when I talked about this to her she doesn’t remember. This encounter has always stayed with me. I always thought this was a religious encounter, now I come to understand it has nothing to do with that, but I do know that this was a holy place where it did happen.

Shirley Sharpe

13 October 2023 at 11:00 pm

My first experience of my spiritual self was as a 9 year old walking home alone from school. Bored, I decided to play a game of not walking on any pavement cracks. I carefully watched my wellington boot clad feet, aware that with each step my hand-me-down boots, which were slightly too big, slid down my heel. Completely focused on my legs and feet, I became unaware of my surroundings. Suddenly I came to a halt as a voice from within me loudly and clearly stated: “I am not these legs, I am not these eyes. I am using these legs and looking through these eyes but I am not this body.” I stood still, elated and excited in a way I had never felt before, knowing without doubt this was true.

This awakening had such a profound affect that it ignited my search to answer the question that it gave rise to: ‘If I am not this body, who am I?’ It took me over 40 years to finally fully awaken to the truth.

Rex Barker

21 October 2023 at 11:51 am

I first became aware of the nature of reality at the age of 5 which is probably the best way to identify my spiritual awareness and the beginning of my journey. I will say at this point that the journey itself has been one where I had no intention of seeking such experiences, but they seemed to arise when I was ready to understand their significance. So..

My family had just moved into a permanent home from the temporary post war Nissen hut that we occupied before. The apartment was bigger and we had separate rooms instead of the divided spaces and outside toilet. As was often the case the ‘front room’ was the lounge and we children were not allowed in there unless with our parents. One day everyone else was out and I was alone, so naturally I went into the room and played on the armchairs and sofa. At one point I stepped of the back of the sofa and instead of falling to the ground seemed to hover in space for a moment before falling. It was enough time to recognise what had happened, and it puzzled me. I couldn’t understand what had happened and left the room soon after. In bed that evening I remembered what had happened and wondered why. I can still remember the brief thought stream – why did I not fall? – we should but I didn’t – I didn’t because we don’t HAVE to fall – I only fell after that moment because that was what we should do – so if that is true then it also must be true that we only do things because we are told to – this means that everything we do could be different, and yet if that is true then I would go mad deciding in every moment WHAT to do! This is too much, it is best of I do what I am supposed to until I know enough to make choices.

I then went to sleep and forgot all about the incident until it suddenly came back to me when I was 30 and encouraged to read ‘Jonathan Livingston Seagull’ by Richard Bach. My spiritual journey had already begun by then, inspired when I was adopted by an aboriginal tribe in Sarawak.