Introduction and a question on blending professional and personal interests …

• Introduction and a question on blending professional and personal interests …

Posted by Linda Vernon on 15 October 2022 at 3:18 pm

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening colleagues,

I’ve just joined this interest group – after a period of being a fairly inactive member, I’ve just been inspired following the TCCHE conference last weekend to dive a bit deeper into the curious inquisitive part of me that wants to understand the space where science and spirituality meet, and I guess to understand how I can weave my professional and personal interests together.

So, I was surprised to see no activity in the group, but thought I may as well kick us off!

I work in healthcare, in the NHS, as a leader but formerly as a physiotherapy practitioner, doing a lot of diagnostic workup of complex patients who had failed conservative treatment. I also, many years ago, practised clinical aromatherapy after undertaking a DipHE Aromatic Medicine at John Moores University in Liverpool. And more recently I did some functional medicine training in the USA with IFM.org, and life and health coaching using a cognitive behavioural approach (which was interesting but I think has limitations).

On a personal level, I meditate, I practice mindfulness in the Plum Village tradition, I’m curious about our consciousness and the interactions between mind, thought, spirituality & belief and our physiology, and more recently I’ve become interested in plant medicine.

So my question to you all is whether you have managed to blend your professional interests (particularly if you are involved in the delivery of mainstream healthcare) and your personal interests or philosophies …

Hope to see some introductions and discussion,

Linda

Howard Eisenberg replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies

Howard Eisenberg

17 October 2022 at 12:36 am

Hi Linda,

Welcome to our Healthcare interest group!

In answer to your question – I have managed to blend my professional medical work in Mind/Body Medicine as Medical Psychotherapist with my personal research interest in exploring consciousness.

Collegial regards,

Howard Eisenberg, M.Sc.(Psych), M.D.

Linda Vernon

6 January 2023 at 10:18 pm

Hi Howard,

thank you so much for your reply and sorry I’ve not acknowledged it sooner! I’ve been back on a plant medicine retreat this weekend, and bumped into a fellow NHS leader. We discussed the potential (or not, perhaps) to ‘heal’ the NHS … and the fact that it’s tempting given how broken the system is to want to turn our backs on it and follow another path. But that we have more chance of influencing change on the inside!

That reminded me I’d posted here!

So I’m curious … I’m guessing you’re UK based (I don’t know if SMN reaches internationally?) is your clinical work all private, and if so did bureaucracy or something else draw you in that direction? Did you get pulled or pushed away from the NHS (if indeed that was your starting point?)

I wonder are there any other NHS clinicians or leaders in the group? I feel there must be a scattering of spiritually aware clinicians and leaders in the NHS, people who recognise we are so much more than how we show up in this 3D reality, and I just wonder whether collectively we might reach a critical mass that really can influence change …

I’ll also check your book out Howard, thank you for the link 🙏 Perhaps your answers to my questions are in the book 😉

Best wishes, and happy new year,

Linda

Howard Eisenberg

7 January 2023 at 10:02 pm

Hi again Linda,

Happy New Year to you too.

I’m actually based in Canada, (where the health care system is also failing).

Physicians are not allowed by Law here to opt out of the government health care system, (otherwise most of us would choose to go private)

My book can assist you in becoming much more impactful in achieving your goals.

Regards,

Howard Eisenberg, M.D., M.Sc.(Psych)